The Federalist Party
We've Set up what will be our Final New Fed Forums. These forums were previsionary and after hearing opinions and discussing it, we've decided to move. So follow this link, make a user, and start posting on the Brand New Federalist Party Forums!

http://w11.zetaboards.com/federalistparty/index/


What's Going On With The Forum

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Jacksondr5 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:53 am

We like admining and moding our own forum, so no.
avatar
Jacksondr5

Posts : 9
Points : 15
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Oblige on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:56 am

eliwood_sain wrote:History serving me correctly, there were times when 4 prominent forums were hosted on the national servers. They also got DDoS'ed a lot, so there were times when parties couldn't use their servers. I don't think we want to run that risk of being on the same server as the nationals in case this problem arises in the future.

I don't believe the eUSA Forums has ever been DDOS'd, also afaik the way the hosting is setup provides considerable protection from that.

Jacksondr5 wrote:We like admining and moding our own forum, so no.

This would be possible with both setups.
avatar
Oblige

Posts : 20
Points : 22
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by CivilAnarchy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:58 am

I'm personally in support of the Feds trying out the sub-domain under the eUSAforums option for a couple of different reasons, primarily due to what we could gain and contribute as a community if we were to take that option.

Everyone knows the eUSAForums have changed drastically over the last half year, towards the direction of creating a solidified metagame community capable of surviving the tumultuous climate of eRepublik. The Federalists have acquired a less than admirable reputation, save a few select individuals, of being almost entirely detached from this effort. The reasons for that probably stem from the fact that the forums were, at one point, no more than a circle jerk, and Pfeiffer had ultimate power for a good amount of time, but nevertheless, the status quo has changed to the extent that we can benefit greatly from taking an active role in the forming community.

As for the concerns of the possible misuse of power based upon the ultimate authority of forum moderation being out of the hands of elected Federalist Officials, the only retort I can offer is the fact that various organizations, from Congress, to the USAF, to the Executive Branch of Government, each with it's own vital information also store their discussions on this domain, and PigInZen takes great care to maintain the trust between these organizations and the community.

There's been a lot of talk of opportunity being hidden in this dreadful situation, but I don't think everyone's looking at the same opportunities. By merging the Federalist Forums with the eUSA subdomain, we not only gain the potential to augment our activity by simply increasing the content available, or place the Federalist Party in the direct path of the first steps of new American Citizens, but we allow ourselves to help contribute to the creation of a new, and absolutely vital, national community.
avatar
CivilAnarchy

Posts : 4
Points : 4
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Voorhees, New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Greene12 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:03 am

eUSForums were DDOS'd a long time ago, I don't think thats relevant really.

We've been hearing about our separate from the national forum being bad for us for a very, very long time. We seem to be doing okay, I don't think thats a big problem for us, and we contact newbs on our own without using the national forums.

I also would rather not be on those forums because of how quickly and far they're moving away from erep tbh.
avatar
Greene12

Posts : 28
Points : 36
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Roper on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:05 am

Since we are having to start from new, it seems to make sense to me to use eUS forums like Oblige says. I for 1 would be much more active than before because I stay on eUS forums doing my job for MU & other things. If we centralize where our members visit each day then chances are activity will increase and our party will be tighter.


Last edited by Roper on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bossman said to say more...presidents pfft all the power)
avatar
Roper

Posts : 1
Points : 1
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Greene12 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:12 am

Roper wrote:Since we are having to start from new, it seems to make sense to me to use eUS forums like Oblige says. Most of us are already there daily.

Do most of us? That might be interesting to look into. Since such a large portion of our population is EZC, and not usaf, there isn't a military-associated reason for most feds to go to eusforums often. I used to go a good deal but those boards are pretty dead, I only check on occasion now.

Also, wouldn't having a hyperlink on the eusforums taking people to our own forums be pretty much the same as hosting there? We were waiting on a link to be made for us prior to this thing btw, pigs just been busy i suppose.
avatar
Greene12

Posts : 28
Points : 36
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Oblige on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:13 am

Greene12 wrote:eUSForums were DDOS'd a long time ago, I don't think thats relevant really.

We've been hearing about our separate from the national forum being bad for us for a very, very long time. We seem to be doing okay, I don't think thats a big problem for us, and we contact newbs on our own without using the national forums.

I also would rather not be on those forums because of how quickly and far they're moving away from erep tbh.

I kind of want to bring PiZ here to refute some of the points being made about the eUSA forums, because I feel like a lot of them are fairly inaccurate and could use clarification from someone other than myself. That will probably have to wait until at least tomorrow though as atm he would probably start randomly stabbing people out of paranoia after trying to coordinate blocking against his own party for like three days straight :3

1.) We are doing not just ok, but I'd say very well, the question is: room for improvement? y/n? Overwhelmingly I say "y." A consolidated community produces the best meta-game for everyone.

2.) The forum has a very active community of forum eRep Players, thankfully one of the awesome things about the way the forum is setup now is that they can totally opt out of the eRep experience (and vice versa!) with our new top level group memberships. We could even request an open group membership for the Federalists, so the Feds would literally only see Federalist Boards.
avatar
Oblige

Posts : 20
Points : 22
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by CivilAnarchy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:16 am

Greene12 wrote:
We've been hearing about our separate from the national forum being bad for us for a very, very long time. We seem to be doing okay, I don't think thats a big problem for us, and we contact newbs on our own without using the national forums.

I also would rather not be on those forums because of how quickly and far they're moving away from erep tbh.

It's not that being on a separate forum would be detrimental to the Federalist Party, it's more that being on the National Forums has a ton of benefits that we would be willingly abstaining from, with a negligible set of consequences. And contacting new players for parties will, and has always been, an incredibly risky situation. We rely on API tools and MM groups to get us in contact with new players, and send them to a site that may or may not seem strange to them. The eUSAforums has the welcoming message by the current CP on it's side, which means it's always going to get a group of people that are essentially unavailable to conventional party recruitment. There have been entire months of Federalist History where our ability to recruit has been damaged by the fact that this tool or that one has been unusable, and our membership and activity suffers for it. We might not be able to entire circumvent these problems by this process, but at the very least, the usage of the eUSAforums as a supplemental conduit for recruitment always will ensure some stream of publicity.

As for the eUSAforums moving away from eRepublik, I would have to disagree. Recently PigInZen has been setting up servers on other games for eRep community members, but the spirit of the forums still rely primarily on eRepublik. The ratio of General Gaming or RL topics to eRepublik topics on the eUSAforums is fairly similar to the ratio of topics related to RL and random discussion to genuine eRep topics on the original Federalist Forums. Furthermore, a vast majority of the non-eRep topics are still aligned with topics similar to the interests of people who play eRepublik, notably the Gaming Category.
avatar
CivilAnarchy

Posts : 4
Points : 4
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Voorhees, New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Greene12 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:21 am

I imagine we would want fully separate boards that p much look as though you've left eusforums and are now on fed forums.

Would a hyperlink to fed forums hosted here, or somewhere else, next to all the other party hyper links be that different from a link to fed forums hosted on eusforums?
avatar
Greene12

Posts : 28
Points : 36
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Jacksondr5 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 am

What we have here my fellow eRepublikans, is a bunch of benefits and drawbacks. We have to weigh them against one another in order to determine the best possible solution. Civil, you say there wouldn't be any harm done to the party, only good things. You sir are wrong. I explain below. Having a "mega-community that's all in one place to increase activity" doesn't really help us. If people are interested in the Feds, they'll come to our forum. People won't just say "Oh hey, the Feds are here, I'll go be active there now." That's unrealistic. The main threats we face are keeping secret things secret. Can't do that when you have an admin and global mod team reading your stuff.

OK, here's my argument.

I've been Training Officer and Recruitment director for the Feds, so I know what I'm talking about here.

Telling someone "OK, go sign up here, http://www.eusaforums.com/forum/index.php. Then when you confirm your email, log in, click the forums page, then look for the Political Parties sub board, THEN click on the Fed party forum. Save this in your bookmarks. Now, go to our registration desk, and post a topic about yourself."

That is a long list of instructions. A lot of people will get lost, and I'll spend LOTS of time on IRC helping them. That is, ofc, if they're on IRC yet, which most wont be. This explanation would be hard to do in a recruitment pm.

"Oh, but Jackson, people aren't going to think that's confusing."

Yes, some will. If you've never helped out people register on IRC, you don't understand how some simple things can get complicated.

Next point.

Random admin who decides to rage quit: "IMMA FUCKIN DELETE EVERYTHING!!!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!!!!" Now everything's gone. Back to square 1.

"Oh, but Jackson, an admin would never do that."

Since we can't control who has control of our boards, anything could happen. Someone like pfeiffer could come along and fuck shit up just to troll us. You can't guarantee that won't happen. By owning our own forum, and making sure only a select few have the right to destroy stuff, we're better protected. It's not perfect, but its much better if we're able to quickly remove someone we deem a threat rather then finding PiZ (or another admin) and convincing him that another admin is a threat to us. By then the entire forum could be destroyed.

Next point.

All those links we used to have. Links to IRC, guides to election day stuff, fighting, off site tools (like AndraX). Yall sure don't have em. I doubt we'll be able to make our own list, we'd have to compromise with everyone else to find a list that everyone likes, which may or may not turn out well for us.

I don't have an "Oh, but Jackson" for this.

Next point.

I don't know much about this mod team that selects the admins, but its very possible for someone to get in who has a grudge against us. Someone who wouldn't mind reading our leadership forums, and maybe passing on the info to someone in another party. You can't stop this. Impossible. In order to protect our information, the leadership could do 3 inconvenient and stupid things:

1. Discuss everything in an in game pm.
2. Make a forum specifically for them.
3. Let themselves get spied on.

No "but Jackson" for this.

I'll add more as I think of them.
avatar
Jacksondr5

Posts : 9
Points : 15
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by CivilAnarchy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:30 am

Greene12 wrote:I imagine we would want fully separate boards that p much look as though you've left eusforums and are now on fed forums.

Would a hyperlink to fed forums hosted here, or somewhere else, next to all the other party hyper links be that different from a link to fed forums hosted on eusforums?

That would be something you'd have to ask PigInZen to add, and it would help the issue of a getting to many of the new Players that come onto the eUSAforums, but the disconnect between the eUSAforums and Federalist forums would still have an impact on a lot of the benefits we would potentially see. Like I mentioned, contribution to a thriving metagame would be one of the major benefits of being part of the eUSAforums, and we would be neglecting that, to an extent, if we had an entirely independent forum. We could try to mitigate that by encouraging Federalists to participate on the eUSAforums, but the reality is that without direct connection, the majority people will still treat the two forums as two different sites, and instead of going back and forth from a topic in the Fed Subdomain to say, something in General eRepublik, they would remain solely on one forum or the other.
avatar
CivilAnarchy

Posts : 4
Points : 4
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Voorhees, New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Oblige on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:30 am

Jacksondr5 wrote:What we have here my fellow eRepublikans, is a bunch of benefits and drawbacks. We have to weigh them against one another in order to determine the best possible solution. Civil, you say there wouldn't be any harm done to the party, only good things. You sir are wrong. I explain below. Having a "mega-community that's all in one place to increase activity" doesn't really help us. If people are interested in the Feds, they'll come to our forum. People won't just say "Oh hey, the Feds are here, I'll go be active there now." That's unrealistic. The main threats we face are keeping secret things secret. Can't do that when you have an admin and global mod team reading your stuff.

Telling someone "OK, go sign up here, http://www.eusaforums.com/forum/index.php. Then when you confirm your email, log in, click the forums page, then look for the Political Parties sub board, THEN click on the Fed party forum. Save this in your bookmarks. Now, go to our registration desk, and post a topic about yourself."

That is a long list of instructions. A lot of people will get lost, and I'll spend LOTS of time on IRC helping them. That is, ofc, if they're on IRC yet, which most wont be. This explanation would be hard to do in a recruitment pm.

"Oh, but Jackson, people aren't going to think that's confusing."

Yes, some will. If you've never helped out people register on IRC, you don't understand how some simple things can get complicated.

Signing up for the eUSA Forums and setting someone up as a Federalist is super simple, with the new portal, the instructions are on the front page, with pictures!

I've helped register people on IRC, and in most of my shouts, now include QChat links to help our newbies make it there in the first place, and certainly appreciate the sentiment though. Sometimes it's about making easy thing even easier.

Jacksondr5 wrote:Random admin who decides to rage quit: "IMMA FUCKIN DELETE EVERYTHING!!!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!!!!" Now everything's gone. Back to square 1.

"Oh, but Jackson, an admin would never do that."

Since we can't control who has control of our boards, anything could happen. Someone like pfeiffer could come along and fuck shit up just to troll us. You can't guarantee that won't happen. By owning our own forum, and making sure only a select few have the right to destroy stuff, we're better protected.

Admins on the eUSA Forums can't do that.

Jacksondr5 wrote:All those links we used to have. Links to IRC, guides to election day stuff, fighting, off site tools (like AndraX). Yall sure don't have em. I doubt we'll be able to make our own list, we'd have to compromise with everyone else to find a list that everyone likes, which may or may not turn out well for us.

I don't really understand what you're saying here? We've lost the links already...

Jacksondr5 wrote:I don't know much about this mod team that selects the admins, but its very possible for someone to get in who has a grudge against us. Someone who wouldn't mind reading our leadership forums, and maybe passing on the info to someone in another party. You can't stop this. Impossible. In order to protect our information, the leadership could do 3 inconvenient and stupid things:

1. Discuss everything in an in game pm.
2. Make a forum specifically for them.
3. Let themselves get spied on.

Neither mods, regional mods, or even global mods have access to all of the eUSA Forum's subforums, only admins do. This is the current admin team: Dio Publius, JP, LordRahl2 and AndraX2000

The way the eUSA Forums work is that they allow you to see who's reading a forum, sub forum, or post at any given time. If admins abuse their privileges and read areas they are not supposed to, they get terminated. This, in fact, was what brought Pfeiffer down.
avatar
Oblige

Posts : 20
Points : 22
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Jacksondr5 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:37 am

>Admins can't delete boards?

Really?

>The links we had on the right side of our forum. "Useful Links"

>I assume someone would have to approve them. Who would this be, and would they be able to register with us before hand? On our registration desk.
avatar
Jacksondr5

Posts : 9
Points : 15
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Oblige on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 am

Jacksondr5 wrote:>Admins can't delete boards?

Really?

ya, rly. They could delete a usergroup or something like that, which would make things super annoying, but in terms of deleting a forum, the worst they could do is move it to the trash.

Either of those is totally reversible (obviously). Krems did stupid stuff like that when he had access to the admin toolkit, and it took like a day or so, but everyone got back to where they were supposed to be.

Jacksondr5 wrote:
>The links we had on the right side of our forum. "Useful Links"

>I assume someone would have to approve them. Who would this be, and would they be able to register with us before hand? On our registration desk.

Hmmm the way the forums are setup currently we don't really have a side bar like thing... The closets is the announcements section which scrolls on the top. I think admins only have access to that, but it might be a privilege that could be divvied out the same way awards are now... If that's possible, they wouldn't need to be approved by anyone, if not, then an admin would have to do it.
avatar
Oblige

Posts : 20
Points : 22
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Talio Extremist on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 am

Oblige wrote:
Soren Nelson wrote:It's a huge loss for the collective Federalist history. I cannot overstate what an opportunity this ism however.

A possibility that should be given serious consideration is a move to the eUSA Forums. With the removal of Pfeiffer as a member of the administration team, I know that many members previously expressed concerns about security, etc. would no longer apply.

Currently the USWP and NCP host their forums on the eUSA Forums server, the NCP as a sub-domain and the USWP on the forums proper. From my previous discussions with PiZ I believe that either option would be open to the Federalists.

You are ficken nuts aren't ya?
avatar
Talio Extremist

Posts : 10
Points : 10
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Cromstar on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 am

You aren't actually offering any benefits we'd obtain by using the eUS forums over an independent service. You are just pointing out how they'd be the same (minus some the neat customization things we'd like to have).

The whole 'better for the meta-community' excuse doesn't pan out. The eUS forums have a lot of things going against them for the meta-community and especially smaller communities within it. Chief among these is a predilection for dickishness on the forums. They tend to have looser modding than party forums and that can drive people away or serve to isolate communities. So far, these forums are much better than the previous ones about this but they are by no means perfect.

Second, there's an increasing amount of non-eRep stuff being hosted there and the more there is, the less emphasis there is on the eRep stuff which marginalizes the community. Thankfully PIZ came back and smacked down the other admins when they tried to destroy the eRep sections of the forums previously, but a continued expansion will increase the likelihood of similar things happening in the future, forum masking only serves to mitigate not erase the problem.

Third, there's an image associated with national forums. There's a separate image associated with the Feds and the most active party forum around. The fact that we got 30 members signed up within hours of this temp forum coming online shows how much our members rely on our forums. We'd be giving up a lot of our identify by trying to join the eUS forum system, especially since there's no real benefit for us. Basically, you are trying to make the case that the eUS forums would get some benefit out of it...but we wouldn't really get anything in return.

In fact the level of control and customization we have on an off-site forum is wider than it would be on the eUS forums.

Parties have always avoided the eUS forums for these and other reasons. The USWP being on there now is a temporary situation encouraged and largely enacted by Pfeiffer. It won't be there forever. Nobody really likes party forums on there because some people don't like the national forums.
avatar
Cromstar

Posts : 21
Points : 19
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Talio Extremist on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:57 am

Cromstar wrote:You aren't actually offering any benefits we'd obtain by using the eUS forums over an independent service. You are just pointing out how they'd be the same (minus some the neat customization things we'd like to have).

The whole 'better for the meta-community' excuse doesn't pan out. The eUS forums have a lot of things going against them for the meta-community and especially smaller communities within it. Chief among these is a predilection for dickishness on the forums. They tend to have looser modding than party forums and that can drive people away or serve to isolate communities. So far, these forums are much better than the previous ones about this but they are by no means perfect.

Second, there's an increasing amount of non-eRep stuff being hosted there and the more there is, the less emphasis there is on the eRep stuff which marginalizes the community. Thankfully PIZ came back and smacked down the other admins when they tried to destroy the eRep sections of the forums previously, but a continued expansion will increase the likelihood of similar things happening in the future, forum masking only serves to mitigate not erase the problem.

Third, there's an image associated with national forums. There's a separate image associated with the Feds and the most active party forum around. The fact that we got 30 members signed up within hours of this temp forum coming online shows how much our members rely on our forums. We'd be giving up a lot of our identify by trying to join the eUS forum system, especially since there's no real benefit for us. Basically, you are trying to make the case that the eUS forums would get some benefit out of it...but we wouldn't really get anything in return.

In fact the level of control and customization we have on an off-site forum is wider than it would be on the eUS forums.

Parties have always avoided the eUS forums for these and other reasons. The USWP being on there now is a temporary situation encouraged and largely enacted by Pfeiffer. It won't be there forever. Nobody really likes party forums on there because some people don't like the national forums.

Yeah, what he said.
avatar
Talio Extremist

Posts : 10
Points : 10
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by CivilAnarchy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 am

Jacksondr5 wrote: Having a "mega-community that's all in one place to increase activity" doesn't really help us. If people are interested in the Feds, they'll come to our forum. People won't just say "Oh hey, the Feds are here, I'll go be active there now." That's unrealistic. The main threats we face are keeping secret things secret. Can't do that when you have an admin and global mod team reading your stuff.

1. I don't see how it's at all unrealistic to say that if a New Citizen were to see Federalist Forums on the national page, there wouldn't be the chance that they would check it out, considering that many new players are looking around in the Top 5 for their best fit. Like I previously mentioned, and as a Recruitment director you should know, New Player messaging is not an entirely reliable method of recruitment, meaning, that even if someone is interested in finding a party, does not mean that they will immediately go to the Federalist Forums. Putting the Federalist forums in the some of the first steps of a new citizen would absolutely prompt more individuals to go there, and I don't find that point unrealistic whatsoever. For instance, when I first joined eRepublik, even though I was interested in finding a party, I didn't go directly to party forums for a number of reasons. Assuming interest in a party will immediately lead to going to the forums of the party is not a proven correlation.

2. If Secrecy is your problem, I don't see any problems with keeping things secret on the eUSA forums. The USAF, Congress, and Executive all entrust vital national information to these forums without fail, and each of these three organizations deal with more sensitive information than the Federalist Party does.

Jacksondr5 wrote:Telling someone "OK, go sign up here, http://www.eusaforums.com/forum/index.php. Then when you confirm your email, log in, click the forums page, then look for the Political Parties sub board, THEN click on the Fed party forum. Save this in your bookmarks. Now, go to our registration desk, and post a topic about yourself."

That is a long list of instructions. A lot of people will get lost, and I'll spend LOTS of time on IRC helping them. That is, ofc, if they're on IRC yet, which most wont be. This explanation would be hard to do in a recruitment pm.

Instructions for the Federalist Party Forums
1. Sign up + link
2. Confirm Email
3. Post topic in New Member forums to introduce yourself and gain access you need
4. Go forth and do frolic with the Federalists as you wish!
Instructions for the eUSA Forums
1. Sign up + link
2. Confirm Email
3. Look at the available groups and pick which ones you want to be a part of
4. Go forth and frolic with the Americans as you wish!

I honestly see very little variation in the sign up processes of each forum, except for the fact that the Federalists encourage more intimate new member introductions as to determine access, while eUSAforums leave it up to the individual. As for the exact number of steps, I believe you're exaggerating the amount of steps needed to sign up for the eUSA forums while neglecting to mention the fact that signing up for the Federalist forums use about the same number of sets. Overall, your argument in this point can be redirected to having any forum at all.

Jacksondr5 wrote:Random admin who decides to rage quit: "IMMA FUCKIN DELETE EVERYTHING!!!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!!!!" Now everything's gone. Back to square 1.

"Oh, but Jackson, an admin would never do that."

Since we can't control who has control of our boards, anything could happen. Someone like pfeiffer could come along and fuck shit up just to troll us. You can't guarantee that won't happen. By owning our own forum, and making sure only a select few have the right to destroy stuff, we're better protected. It's not perfect, but its much better if we're able to quickly remove someone we deem a threat rather then finding PiZ (or another admin) and convincing him that another admin is a threat to us. By then the entire forum could be destroyed.

The eUnited States forums have never been destroyed or vandalized due to an Admin ragequit or other drama of that sort. Various party forums in eUSA history have been vandalized due to inner disputes and changes in leadership. The first one that comes to mind is an incident in the USWP where a large segment of the forum was destroyed over suspicious circumstances regarding a former Party President. As for a forum admin ragequit, the reality is that as long as we have individuals running our forums, that's a possibility, not just for the national forums, but for any forums ever. As for the Pfeiffer comment, he's not an admin, and we control the mod team which means we actually are able to ensure that our boards cannot be deleted or trolled by anyone except the admin, PiZ, which is something entirely unavoidable, and instead of being a counter-argument about having a national forum, is rather an argument against having a forum at all. The Federalists have had our fair share of drama in the past, need we not forget the incidents surrounding qubert. I would actually argue that our forums are more secure when we have an impartial admin as being the person capable of holding the keys to destruction, because 9/10, forum destruction is the result of personal vendetta rather than insane ragequits, present situation serving as the 1/10. As for your comments about the admin team, there is currently only one individual serving as an admin - http://eusaforums.com/forum/index.php?action=staff.

Jacksondr5 wrote:All those links we used to have. Links to IRC, guides to election day stuff, fighting, off site tools (like AndraX). Yall sure don't have em. I doubt we'll be able to make our own list, we'd have to compromise with everyone else to find a list that everyone likes, which may or may not turn out well for us.

Yes, we will be able to make our own list. In addition to that, we'll also be connected to the Technology Board, the place where many of those tools were originally made, meaning that we'll have direct news on the newest tools, as well as being able to post our own relevant party links.

Jacksondr5 wrote:I don't know much about this mod team that selects the admins, but its very possible for someone to get in who has a grudge against us. Someone who wouldn't mind reading our leadership forums, and maybe passing on the info to someone in another party. You can't stop this. Impossible. In order to protect our information, the leadership could do 3 inconvenient and stupid things:

1. Discuss everything in an in game pm.
2. Make a forum specifically for them.
3. Let themselves get spied on.

The mod team does not select the admins, there's only one Admin.
Allow me to explain a little bit about how the Mod System works.
It goes Admin - Global Mod - Regional Mod - Mod. All of these individuals are public - http://eusaforums.com/forum/index.php?action=staff
The best part about the system we're trying to use is the fact that the only person capable of seeing our boards would be our Mods and the Admin, PiginZen, someone who's had access to Executive Boards, Congressional Boards, USWP boards, and Army boards, and has never abused that power in any sense.
Therefore, the points you brought up would be moot, as it's a proven fact that vital information can be posted on that forum without problems of exposure arising.

Overall, many of the issues you brought up aren't problems with the idea of using a National Forum, but rather, a problem with the idea of using a forum whatsoever.
avatar
CivilAnarchy

Posts : 4
Points : 4
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Voorhees, New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Soren Nelson on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:05 am

Oblige wrote:
Soren Nelson wrote:It's a huge loss for the collective Federalist history. I cannot overstate what an opportunity this ism however.

A possibility that should be given serious consideration is a move to the eUSA Forums. With the removal of Pfeiffer as a member of the administration team, I know that many members previously expressed concerns about security, etc. would no longer apply.

Currently the USWP and NCP host their forums on the eUSA Forums server, the NCP as a sub-domain and the USWP on the forums proper. From my previous discussions with PiZ I believe that either option would be open to the Federalists.

Absolutely not under any circumstances will that ever happen. The reasons not to are myriad, and have already been articulated by my colleagues, so I'll spare you reiteration. But please drop it. It's just never going to happen. Ever.

Soren Nelson

Posts : 6
Points : 7
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Gnilraps on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 am

I realize that I am chiming in with an opposing viewpoint to many of my favorite Federalists, but I am in favor of AT LEAST entertaining the notion of an eUS Forum based Federalist Board.

Other than Jacksondr5's post, I am in agreement with most of what is being said in opposition to the eUS Forum option.

However, I am not convinced that the eUS Forum option cannot be pursued in a way that addresses most of these concerns to our satisfaction. At the bare minimum I want all the facts.

We are not in a rush, so why not examine the eUS Forum option without bias?

I propose we establish a list of points that we would want addressed by PiZ. He can take his time working through them one by one (rather than trying to deal with them scattershot in a thread like this).

Meanwhile I will still be pursuing the possibility of a stand-alone web portal which will set us apart from every other Party in eUSA.

BTW, as I write this, the stupid "Preview/Send" buttons are floating in the middle of my text box... very annoying.

Gnilraps

Posts : 11
Points : 15
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Gnilraps on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

By the way, my main arguments against an eUS Forum based Board haven't been raised yet. I admit that they are a little silly and mostly minor things, but w/e, they are how I feel. To wit:

1: I have always liked our +/- reputation system offered by forumotion. For me and many others, that system has served as a little incentive to make good posts, to reward good posters, and whatnot. It's fun. I like fun. Can the eUS Forum give us that functionality?

2: I have used EXTENSIVELY the ability to host uploaded Pics via Forumotion. I am aware of the many other hosting sites, but none of them have been as convenient and simple as Forumotion's hosting service. eUS Forum does not give me this. Can it?

3: One thing I am unclear about is exactly what autonomy we would have under eUS Forums. Currently, with each PP election, we can quickly and easily make alterations to our groups, access lists, and so on. In other words, we want the FULL FUNCTIONALITY that we have enjoyed with Forumotion and which would be ours with any other stand-alone forum. To what extent does association with eUS Forums enable/disable our access to these tools?

Gnilraps

Posts : 11
Points : 15
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I have always liked the Federalist forum and I would love to see it get back the same way it was. I believe that the guy who deleted our old forum did us a favor (well not really), but he gave us an opportunity to make ourselves a new forum in which we take full control.

TBH, I knew that this day would come sooner or later. I knew that ever since someone told me that we don't know where the admins are and the only people running our previous forum were the moderators.

I am in strong opposition with those who want to merge our forum with the eUSAforum. However, I believe that most of us have the democratic spirit running in their blood, so I suggest that we make a poll and allow all feds to vote.

I vote for a separate federalist forum.




Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by SassukeSilent on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 pm

making a poll does not serve us to choose the right decision, i think the experienced people should choose to be separated or merged
avatar
SassukeSilent

Posts : 3
Points : 3
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Awesome idea SassukeSilent, why don't you let them do your homework as well!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Oblige on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Gnilraps wrote:By the way, my main arguments against an eUS Forum based Board haven't been raised yet. I admit that they are a little silly and mostly minor things, but w/e, they are how I feel.
1: I have always liked our +/- reputation system offered by forumotion. For me and many others, that system has served as a little incentive to make good posts, to reward good posters, and whatnot. It's fun. I like fun. Can the eUS Forum give us that functionality?

2: I have used EXTENSIVELY the ability to host uploaded Pics via Forumotion. I am aware of the many other hosting sites, but none of them have been as convenient and simple as Forumotion's hosting service. eUS Forum does not give me this. Can it?

3: One thing I am unclear about is exactly what autonomy we would have under eUS Forums. Currently, with each PP election, we can quickly and easily make alterations to our groups, access lists, and so on. In other words, we want the FULL FUNCTIONALITY that we have enjoyed with Forumotion and which would be ours with any other stand-alone forum. To what extent does association with eUS Forums enable/disable our access to these tools?

1.) Not sure, but probably

2.) No. But try tinypic, it even gives your the bbcode for your pic for easy copy and paste.

3.) This would basically stay the same. We could establish public and/or private member groups, appoint moderators, etc. The difference would be that bans, etc. just apply to that subsection of the forum.
avatar
Oblige

Posts : 20
Points : 22
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum